7/17/13

Breaking Amish LA

They emailed me. The subject line said, "documentary."

"They" were a California film company asking if I'd participate in a new Amish reality show. Hmm, I wondered, how real?

Most TV reality shows are scripted hype (with foul language), and far from factual. In truth, many of my ex-Amish pals know the young people on TLC's Breaking Amish show. No, those characters are not just now "breaking" from anything - they've been out for a while! Other reality Amish TV shows feature characters who've been English for several years; producers are simply exploiting the history of these individuals to script a show. Go ahead and watch if you want silly entertainment.

(Warning: I'm climbing up on my soapbox) The ex-Amish I've met are vulnerable and easily persuaded. Since they've been told everything to do or not do, they have immature decision-making
skills when first adjusting to the "outside." They can be persuaded to attend church or they can be given drugs and persuaded to get into a dangerous life of careless addictions. It angers me when TV producers focus only on those who are making harmful decisions and exploits their struggles to survive in the non-Amish world. Yes, I know Amish smoke, some drink, and sick stuff goes on inside the culture but, to give viewers the impression that ALL young ex-Amish constantly scream the F-bomb, use drugs and alcohol, fight, and flaunt random sexual encounters is incorrect! I know - I've witnessed - different.

So to "their" email, I replied (paraphrased), "I'm interested in participating if you won't exploit those who are leaving Amish and script it for ratings nor surround it in hype, will seek to educate viewers about this culture, and feature some of those who've earned their GED, taken jobs, married, are contributing to our society and moving forward."

Funny thing, I never heard back!

If you want a true and respectful look inside the Amish and at the struggles of those who leave, watch PBS The Amish on AMERICAN EXPERIENCE. National Geographic also aired a TV series about the Amish, which chronicled Missouri-based Mose Gingerich as he continues his adjustment to English life and also helps those who "break" Amish.

Talk to ya next week. ~Brenda

(c)Copyright 2013, Brenda Nixon.

6 comments:

  1. I found the PBS show sometime back and I loved it. I found it helpful in describing a more accurate view of Amish life to people who idealize their lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Stephanie, the PBS documentary "The Amish" had a section on Levi, who is so precious to us and a cousin to our "son" Moses. Levi's been in our home & at countless family holidays; he just moved out of state so our contact has declined. I'm thrilled PBS is working on a sequel but have no idea when it'll air nor what made it through the edits this time.

      Delete
  2. The PBS show is reality - shows like Amish Mafia and Breaking Amish are sad examples of media hype. Yes, Amish who have left the order are way more vulnerable than Breaking Amish projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Lisa. Thanks for your comments & returning to read the posts. I know you have personal experiences, too.

      Delete
  3. I am looking forward to the next part of PBS which should be ready to be aired in early 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Katie, the producer of PBS' documentary tried many times to meet with me when her filming crew returned to Ohio last winter. There was a snow storm and their aircraft was delayed making it impossible for us to meet. But I *may* be in this upcoming part because the first time around there was so much editing and a lot had to be cut. So, they could add in some of those edits, which may include me and/or my family helping ex-Amish.

      Delete