Boy that ruffles my feathers!
I can assure you that the aforementioned family and friends are NOT disgruntled. Maybe emotionally injured. Have sad memories. Feel ostracized. But not mad. Not spiteful. In fact, they often sit around my table laughing and telling stories - comparing childhood behaviors and rules.
What a sweeping statement from someone who is assuming that all former-Amish are "disgruntled."
It'd been better for her to humbly ask, "And what makes them so desperate to leave?" or to honestly want to learn by asking, "Why do some Amish leave?" Then let me count the ways.
- Many Amish people leave their life because they just want something different.
- To do a job outside of the Amish lifestyle.
- Some fall in love and marry outside the Amish life, which demands they leave.
- I know several who left because they wanted to read the Bible, grow spiritually, and live a faith-based (not rule-based) life. If you don't believe me read about former-Old Order John.
- Some Amish are sexually and verbally abused! Human rights activists would have a heyday if they knew of violations that go on within the Amish - and I KNOW it from my Old Order and Swartzentruber contacts.
- Some want to party hardy. They're like a wild stallion pinned up, stomping to break free.
I'm going to stick my neck out and make a supposition that her assumption is because she doesn't want to learn. Ignorance is bliss they say.
Oh . . but wait . . .I'm being too harsh. I suppose if this woman was raped and decided to report it to the police and avoid her rapist, it'd be because she was DISGRUNTLED. She should allow the violation of her body to continue.
And the final ignorance here is that she admitted, "I have had dealings, albeit as an outsider, with Amish and not had any inkling of them..." So her dealings with current Amish make her an expert on those who leave?
My former-Amish pal - out of the Old Order - tried to calm with the truth: "it's just opposition."
That was his comment. What's yours?
(C)Copyright 2015, Brenda Nixon. Don't copy without permission or I might get disgruntled.