11/17/15

Monroe - Chapter 5 of my book - Update

Monroe was tall, slender, blue-eyed, and oh so young when we first met. He was Amish. And our initial meeting was at his married sister's home when I was trying to help her get a birth certificate.

A year later, his cousin called to tell us that Monroe and his sister left the Amish and needed a place to stay. In Beyond Buggies and Bonnets: Seven true stories of former Amish, I share about our meeting at Walmart the night Monroe left. He was only 17-years-old. He lived with us until his 18th birthday. 
In those first few months, I helped Monroe get his birth certificate, his Social Security number ~ that was a chore ~ and taught Monroe to drive . . . using my car(!). He earned his driver's license on the first try, found a job and quickly made friends.
Bought a car
Then a truck.
Then another truck

He spent Thanksgivings and Christmases with us even after he moved out to his own apartment.
So what's he doing since I wrote about him in my book? 
He's doing finish work on homes.
He just bought another - newer - pickup truck.
And he and his girlfriend live in a house in the country...next to his parents! 

Monroe works long hours - sometimes a 12-hour day - so we don't get to see our ex-Amish "son" often. However, one evening the doorbell rang. My husband opened the door to see our tall, slender, blue-eyed and smiling Monroe. 

I'm grateful to have been a part of his first years, mothering and mentoring Monroe. If you want to leave a comment of encouragement or a question, put it below in the Comments section.
(c)Copyright, 2015, Brenda Nixon.

1 comment: